Traffic signs comprise of the signs placed along the roads, traffic lights and traffic lanes on the roads, the traffic direction of the traffic agents and other signs.
The traffic signs, traffic lights and traffic lanes on the roads are arranged in a coherent system at the important places to make it easier for the roads users.
The impermanent danger signs along the roads are placed in an appropriate distance according to the type of roads, rank of road and the condition of road for which the drivers can be able to take precaution.
Sticking papers or other things or drawing on the traffic signs or using the traffic sign supporting frames or other things used as the traffic signs are prohibited as these acts would cause the driver(s) from seeing the traffic signs clearly or understand the meaning of the traffic signs improperly, or for they would blind the driver’s eyes.
The pictures and meaning of the land traffic signs are defined in Prakas (regulation) of the Ministry of Public Works and Transport.
The direction signs of the traffic police are as follows:
• The right hand raised up in the air with the palm opened straight to the vehicles that are moving toward the traffic police as the precaution signs to a stop except any drivers who cannot afford to stop safely can go a head.
• Two hands or one hand are or is stretched along the shoulders, means to stop the vehicles that are moving toward the traffic police or coming behind the traffic police.
• In the same gesture, the vehicles that are moving from the left or right hand sides of the traffic police are allowed to pass through.
• When the traffic police carry a red light lamp or a red light stick to point to any vehicles, it means to stop that vehicle from moving.
• The traffic police can use a whistle instead of the above body signs.
The levels of priorities are defined as follows:
1. The traffic signs have the priority over the traffic regulations.
2. The traffic lights have the priority over the traffic signs.
3. The direction signs of the traffic police have the priority over the traffic lights, the traffic lanes on the roads, the traffic signs along the roads, and the traffic regulations.