Vehicles Management and Transportation
The national and international driving license for all types of vehicles will be issued by Ministry of Public Works and Transport. Ministry of Interior or Ministry of National Defense will issue the driving license for the drivers of special vehicles serving in the specific areas of skill such as tanks, armored vehicles, military equipped vehicles, racing vehicles, tricycles, convoy motorcycles which are the state properties.
There are 5 types of driving license for the road vehicles of the Kingdom of Cambodia as follows:
Type A: For motorcycle and tricycles
A1 - For the motorcycle with the cylindrical size from 49 to 125 cm3
A2 - For the motorcycle with the cylindrical size over 125 cm3.
- The vehicles with trailers and tricycles.
- For the vehicles transporting the passengers not over 9 passengers including the driver.
- The goods loading vehicles with total weight in maximum not over 3.5 tons.
- The vehicle in type B can tow the trailers with total weight not over 0.75 tons.
Type C: For the goods loading vehicles with total weight in maximum over 3.5 tons and might probably have trailers with the total weight in maximum not over 0.75 tons.
Type D: Passenger Vehicles:
D1 - For the vehicles loading passengers from 10 to 20 passengers including the
driver and might have the trailers with the total weight in maximum not more than 0.75 tons.
D2 - For the vehicles loading more than 20 passengers including the driver and might have the trailer with the total weight in maximum not more than 0.75 tons.
Type E: For the vehicles in Type B, C and D with trailers in total weight more than 0.75 tons must divide into 3 types – Type E (B), Type E (C) and Type E (D).
Other conditions involving the driving license will be defined as the following:
1- The drivers can only drive the vehicles based on the types of driving licenses they are holding. The disabled people obtain the rights to drive the special vehicles and have the special driving license for only the disabled people.
2- The driving license holders must apply for the renewal of the validation before the expiry date of the driving license. Failure to apply for the renewal of the validation will be fined as set by the law.
3- The age of drivers must be determined in accordance with the types of the driving license as follows:
1- At least 16 years old for type A1
2- At least 18 years old for type A2 and B
3- At least 22 years old for type C and D1
4- At least 24 years old for type D2 and E
5- Those who have the driving license type A2 can drive the vehicle in type A1
6- Those who have the driving license type B can drive the vehicle in type A1, agricultural vehicle or vehicle equipped with usable tools with the maximum speed not over 40km/h, but cannot drive the vehicle in Type A2 or C or D1 or D2 or E.
7- Those who drive the vehicle equipped with the usable tools with the maximum speed over 40km/h must hold the driving license in Type C.
8- To obtain the driving license in Type C, the drivers must have either the driving license in Type B or D1 first.
9- Those who drive the vehicles in Type C or D1 or D2 can drive the vehicles in Type B.
10- Those who have the driving license in Type C cannot drive the vehicles in Type D2, but those who have the driving license in Type D2 can drive the vehicles in Type B or C or D1.
11- To obtain the driving license in Type D1, the drivers must have the driving license in Type B first.
12- To obtain the driving license in Type D2, the drivers must have the driving license in Type B or C or D1 first.
13- To obtain the driving license in Type E, the drivers must have the driving license in Type B or C or D1 or D2 first.
14- The drivers who have the driving license in Type E, can have the rights to drive the vehicles with trailers with the total weight over 0.75 tons in maximum based on the types of their driving licenses such as E(B) or E(C) or E(D1) or E(D2).
Valid duration of driving license is defined as below:
1. Driving license type A and B is valid until the holders reach the age of 65, but must conduct the medical check-up and extend the driving license every 5 years.
2. Driving license type C, D and E is valid for three years. The license holder shall extend the validity every three years after checking up their health to prove that they can drive.
3. Drivers who use all types of driving licenses as whose age are 65 years up, shall have their health check up every two years, and extend their driving license validity every two years.
Every driving license must have a score card with 12 marks. The mark shall be deducted when the drivers violate traffic regulations as follows:
a. 1 mark deducted:
- Drivers do not wear the safety seat belt or helmet.
- Using far light when there is another vehicles coming from opposite direction.
- Driving on the road line lying on the middle of the road.
- Driving over speed limit from 1 km per hour to 19 km per hour.
- Driving without enough technical light at night according to the types of vehicles.
- Overloaded the passengers.
b. 2 marks deducted:
- Driving over speed limit from 20 to 29 km per hour.
- Increasing speed while the other is overtaking.
- Turning right or left incorrectly
- Make a U-turn at the prohibited place
- Do not follow the criteria of driving license
- Turning right or left, or stopping without giving light or signal.
- Overtaking or passing incorrectly
- Driving without leaving enough security space
- Careless in driving, and disturbing other road users
- Do not use informing light when starting driving
- Vehicle lacks of technical standard
- Loading goods incorrectly
- Parking vehicle on zebra crossing
- Stopping or parking on the road dividing line.
- Leaving a child under 10 years old sitting in the front seat without adult sitting next to the child.
- Do not put the child under 5 years in the special child seat.
c. 3 marks deducted:
- Stopping or parking at a dangerous place
- Dangerous overtaking
- Overtaking at prohibited place
- Changing direction without informing
- Driving across the line in the middle of the road
- Driving over speed limit from 30 to 39 km per hour
- Driving while the driver has the alcoholic rate from 0.25 to 0.39 mg per liter of air or 0.50 to 0.79 g per liter of blood.
- Racing along the road where the law does not allow
- Mistake derived from stopping or do not give priority to pedestrians at zebra crossing.
- Do not obey red traffic light.
- Do not obey the stop sign or priority sign.
- Do not obey traffic order of the traffic police.
d. 4 marks deducted:
- Driving over speed limit from 40 to 49 km per hour.
- Do not obey driving priority right at junction.
- Driving side by side.
- Provoking traffic jam.
- Do not give priority to the vehicles with priority.
- Goods fell from vehicle.
- Driving in the wrong direction.
- Driving dangerously.
e. 6 marks deducted:
- Driving over speed limit starting from 50 km per hour.
- Driving while having alcoholic rate from 0.40 mg per liter of air or 0.8 g per liter of blood, or under the influence of drug.
- Escaping when involving in traffic accident.
- Using fake number plate or fake vehicle identification card.
- Driving without respecting traffic regulation and provoking traffic accident
- Driving without respecting traffic regulation and provoking fatal accident unintentionally in case the driving license is postponed as stated in point 2, provision of article 65 of this law.
- Mistake from using the repeated driving license.
- Refuse from breathalyzing of the alcoholic rate or drug.
- Escaping from traffic police.
- Loading passengers on the dangerous goods.